Scalloped Table Update!

In my previous post here, you will find that I left you off on a completed design but it was all on paper.  I was very excited to start on the table but was still waiting on my Posca pens to arrive from Japan. They have the extra fine tip I was looking for. So, while I waited for the 25 day shipping projection, I started to start my grid on the table in pencil.

Session Three – Photo by Charity Woods

This was like the easiest part but it took me over 3 hours to complete. I decided that since this table would set me back quite a few hours, I would need to break up my time into blocks, 3 hour blocks. Since I had drawn out with details, the rough draft on paper in 6 hours, (2 sessions) I really thought that this part would take me longer, but instead of adding all the details, I just simply lined out a grid and left a lot to the imagination. What I found was that I had started changing the design slightly within the pencil outline.

One my next session, I didn’t make it near as far as I thought I would. By the time the three hours were done, I was amazed that I hadn’t made significant progress. Knowing this was paint, I was really trying to make sure there were no mess-ups. I didn’t want to have to redo the whole table.

This was no where near the detail that I wanted to do in the center, but in order not to get discouraged, I decided quickly that I would take my time and appreciate every step along the way. One of the amazing things that I discovered was that I was changing my pattern from the original one I drew on paper. Not drastically, but enough because I felt the table moving in a different direction. Its very difficult for me to draw the same thing twice in a row, they are always a little different.

Moving on to the fifth session. I made a lot more progress on this session, but I think maybe it was mostly because the elements were a lot smaller, and there wasn’t a lot of major design issues, but I will tell you that I can’t decide if my hand hurt more from this session or the sixth, which is where I added a lot of swirls.

A couple things I wanted to point out on this design point. The leaves, I think, photograph very well and I typically don’t do such a small design element at this point in any mandala. It seemed extremely too simple when I finished (Photo 1, Session 5). After adding the next level of that design, the entire ring came to life and looked way more detailed than I thought it would. After such a detailed design, I decided to outline the next ring bringing in just a few elements to break this level up from the next. Finally, I did my basic overlap triangle that is the base for so many designs. I felt like this was a great place to stop until I could figure out exactly what I was going to do.

Session six was killer! All of the swirls and the tiny details had my hand cramping at the end. If you’re keeping track, this is now 18 hours into this project. But the payoff of seeing my momma’s face when I am all done, will totally be worth it. If I am going to give her something that is “me” I am going to make it all the elements of me. Structured, yet flexible. Fun, yet functional. This table has been such a blessing to me to design so far.

Session six was the end of my first Posca pen. But I had one more, so I could continue on the next day. The final picture in Session six, sorta gives you an idea of how far I have come and just how far I still have to go to complete this table. Overall, I think its turning out far better than I could have imagined when I started.

Session Seven was very interesting. I painted this while watching White Christmas and trying to get well from a bout of sickness that had me couch ridden the day before. What better way to make myself feel better than to pull up my rocking chair and get to work.

After adding the final touches to the outside, I finished the whole table off with some flowers that mimic the scalloped edges of the table. (Pictured Below) Before I gave this finished table to my mom, I coated it with two layers of clear coat that I purchased in a spray can from an art supply store. It seems to seal in all the colors and there was no feathering as a result of the spray coat being used.

Overall, this project was such a joy to do and it was ready before Christmas. Not only did my parents love this table, it is now proudly displayed in their bedroom. I would love to know your favorite part of this project and what you would like to see in the future.

Leave a Reply